Essex Head Coach Steve Ferreira announced his retirement after this, his 43 season coaching Hornet Baseball. Coach Ferreira gave some spirited speeches to the group about the dynamics inside Essex Baseball to send the membership into the Spring.
Rule Reviews for the 2010 Season:
- When thunder is heard or a bolt of lightning seen play will be suspended and teams will take shelter immediately. Teams and officials will follow a '30 Minute Rule:' Once play is suspended the game will be suspended for 30 minutes. Any subsequent thunder or lighting will reset the 30 minute clock.
- Assistant coaches may not dispute calls with umpires.
- Spaulding TF500 baseballs are mandatory for State-level playoff games. No playoff game shall be started unless this ball is used.
- Reminder to have all pitch count charts available for the opposing team prior to the start of the game. Both teams will report pitch count to the home plate umpire between innings.
- This years North vs South Senior All-Star Game will be played at Colchester High School. Details will be posted as they become available.
Major change for the 2012 Season:
Effective January 1, 2012 all bats must be a "smooth cylinder implement from the top of the cap the top of the knob" and must be 'BBCOR Certified.' Beginning in 2012 BESR bats will no longer be legal. Wooden bats are exempt from this rule. This rule change will have a major financial impact on baseball programs so please plan accordingly.
Pitchers and catchers start today, March 8 and full practices begin March 15!